Tuesday 17 June 2014

...The same all over :-(

Gok says so:


I can't help but comment on Gok Wan's response to a question in the Metro today where he's asked "Does your advice go down differently depending on where you're dispensing it?"

It really resonated with me because his response is that "body hatred and body dysmorphia is a global epidemic" - not a plus size issue, not a colour issue, not exclusive to one group or country, but a global issue. Wow!

I've had lots of discussions as a result of this blog, and something that struck me recently is how many people have said/implied this is 'easy' for me because I'm a size 8. And that's why Gok's response really hit me. We can ALL feel the pressure to look a certain way and I'm putting it out there that I'm no different, but...

Sure, I could focus on the things I prefer less about myself (and no, I'm not going to say 'dislike' or list them), but life is depressing enough. It's why I'm doing this series, and why I'm an image consultant. Our image does matter, but the one that matters most (or should) is the one we have of ourselves. It's easier said than done, and it's so for most people but it is possible to help yourself and help others and I believe that starts with focussing on the positive.

So today, my body I praise you as a whole - as a whole wonderful, clever, beautiful creation with interesting bits!

Gok's response in full:

"No. Body hatred and body dysmorphia is a global epidemic. The advice is the same all over the world - the fear of what we look like is with everyone, which is a really depressing thing to say. It's all about the idea of stripping someone down and helping them accept what they've got, then building them up again with clothes afterwards."



We can all do the building up bit...
Give someone a genuine and heartfelt compliment today so we can all begin to move away from this negative place. Starting with yourself! 


Have a super sunny day!
Denise x


PS: Find out more about the project that's behind #30daysofbodypraise at: http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/BodyConfidence and please support us however you can.



PS - I don't know Gok and he has no idea who I am just in case you're wondering!

No comments:

Post a Comment