See in Spring with a Print.
When the sun appears we often look for ways to update our wardrobes for the coming season. As well as injecting colour, a quick and easy way to introduce a touch of new season style is to invest in a bit of print.
Every season there’s a focus on at least one print, with some - like floral and leopard print - seemingly never out of fashion. As soon as we strip ourselves of our winter safety blankets and wet weather-wear (a bulky coat, and warm comfortable clothes in deep colours), pastels and prints begin to appear in the shops.
Every Spring/Summer, inspired by nature, prints make a comeback and this year is no different. What is different this year though, is how we will be wearing it. Instead of a focus on one print, the trend off the catwalk, for women, is to wear bold clashing prints; and for men print is being modelled top-to-toe. Personally I love florals, butterflies and paisley, but I won't be wearing them altogether!
With neither look being for the feint-hearted (me included!), here are my top tips on how to wear print:
- Be careful with the size (and placement) of print you wear – an oversized print on someone petite will overwhelm, whereas a tiny print on a larger frame may seem to disappear.
- Make sure you wear prints in colours that flatter you (especially those nearest your face).
- If wearing bold prints are not your thing, accessorise instead – a handbag or hankie will work against blocked colours, ladies - paint your nails, and for total subtlety go for printed lining!
- Use print to draw attention to an area you want to show off (and away from areas you want to hide) – for example printed trousers will draw attention to your legs.
- Try teaming prints with neutrals or pastels, in fabrics such as linen, cotton and silk.
- If you do brave this seasons head-to-toe, clashing prints - pick at least one colour that features throughout.
So, that’s how to wear print but which ones are ‘on-trend’ this season?
For ladies – Another key trend this season is a look of the sea so go for watery prints in blues and greens, and shells; birds are the animal print to go for; vegetables replace fruits; and bold, arty graphics are also ‘in’.
For gents – This season, pattern is not for your ties only! The theme from the catwalk is 'be bold'. Wear the exotic (such as birds), camouflage (eg leaves) and paisley.
The great thing with prints is that there is one for everyone - from Aztec, birds and butterflies through to Zebra. Whatever print you wear, and however you wear it – wear it with confidence and a smile.
What’s your signature print and how will you wear it?