I love handbags!... And it seems like I'm in good company as even the Queen is famed for always carrying her boxy Launer handbag!
Unlike the Queen however, I have to admit to changing the style of mine (some might say too often!) to fit the season and occasion.
So, what do I take in to account? Here are my tips for finding the perfect bag:
- Right shape eg if you're round a structured square-shaped bag works best
- Right proportion - if you're petite, like me, don't be swamped with a huge bag (a challenge when you like to carry as much stuff as I do!)
- Strap length - remember the eye will be drawn to where the bag sits especially if it's not the right bag re colour, shape or size
- Right colour - bags are a great accessory for adding a bit of colour without wearing it, but do get it right. Also, they're great if you have to wear a uniform and want to feel like 'you' (at least on the way to work!)
- Right statement - Think about what you want your handbag to say: I'm practical, I'm professional, I'm girly, I'm trendy perhaps.
- It's budget right: but do remember that if it's going to be used often it may be worth investing in
- Use & Fit - as any mum will tell you a bag has to fit everything in, but really... the kitchen sink should not be included! Think why you have it: It's meant to be practical so bags with compartments may work better if you've got lots going in.
- Is it comfortable? - Sorry to be boring but do think about issues like shoulder strain.
- It's nice: So, ignore the last bits about it being practical! - Some bags just have to be owned because, well, they're nice... that is all. So the question is do you like it? - After all, even if it breaks all the rules, chances are you'll put it down at some point!
How do you view your handbag, what do you take into account looking for one, and what does your choice of handbag say about you?